Monday, June 23, 2008

Something that woke me out of a backup induced daze

If you're a systems administrator you can probably relate to this scenario:
On a Sunday afternoon you come in to do a minor task because its the only time you can bring down a system. When you get there you find out that a less experienced system administrator has trashed one of your systems when an upgrade failed. And now you're spending the night trying to rebuild & recover the server. That's why I'm sitting here, reading blogs while watching a tape drive spin off backup files.

Its now 5am, I've read the usual stuff, Arms & the Law, The Volokh Conspiracy (including most of the comments). I decide to see if I can hit the proxy that doesn't block blogspot and whoppie I get through to militarymotivators a (a politically safe test for this job). BTW: that's http://militarymotivator.blogspot.com. After reading Ride Fast and Shoot straight I decide to check his blogroll for someone I've not read before or for awhile.

And what do I see? This blog listed. Wow, I've been noticed? Which also reminds me, when was the last time I updated my list? Oh, packing.org is on there. So while I see that the tape drive is still spinning SunStudio I do a quick update and write this note.

BTW: I do read a good dozen more blogs, Says Uncle, Ahab, Blackfive.net, Days of our Trailers, Snowflakes included. I promise to do another update in the near future, but right now I think I'm going to go make more coffee, because the watched backup or restore never finishes. And daydream about how this unexpected overtime is getting me closer to a new H-D Cross Bones in olive.

p.s. Thanks for adding me, and if others have and I hadn't noticed, thanks to you all also.

3 comments:

Redhawk said...

The 2nd Amendment is an "unalienable Right" to all of us, including felons, for they too have the Right of preserving their lives. It is a God given Right, and is not to be infringed by any actions of the government. However, if a person is so dangerous that they cannot be trusted with a firearm, why are they not in jail or a mental institution where they can do no further harm to society? So let all of society be armed as they chooses to be, so to protect and defend from such miscreants… including from those on the Hill.

Ride Fast said...

My pleasure and thanks for blogging.

MichaelG said...

redhawk, The Preamble to the US Constitution says, "We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America."

A violent felon has chosen to take themself outside of "the People" that wish to establish Justice," etc. As such an outsider the violent felon no longer enjoys the protections of the US Constitution, only the privileges of US Law. The violent felon still has inalienable rights, just not the protection of them except as we choose to provide them. That is why I believe that crimes should only be defined as felony convictions when the action is severely disruptive to society as a whole. Murder, beating someone within an inch of their lives (felonious assault), stealing horse or car, child rape.

I do like the idea of the rule that if you can't trust someone with a gun then they shouldn't be out of jail. But that breaks down rather quickly. Some children, an off duty soldier who has decided to tie one on, and apparently some people too stupid to unload before starting to clean their guns. These people probably shouldn't be trusted with firearms, but that doesn't mean they should be locked up does it?

Thx for the comments.
MichaelG